A young mastiff puppy was discovered in a garbage dump in the tranquil and rainy town of Grado, located in Asturias (Spain). The individuals who rescued the pup noted his expression of great fear when they ultimately saved him. However, this act of abandonment was not the only malicious deed inflicted upon the innocent animal.
It’s heartbreaking to think that someone could have left a helpless puppy in a bag like it was trash. The entire town is understandably outraged by this cruel act, and many organizations, including the Grado y sus Valles Animal Shelter, are calling on everyone in the community to help identify the person responsible and ensure they face the full consequences of their actions.
It is believed that the individual who left him behind did not live in the area and only came to abandon the poor little pup. The organization responsible for taking care of him, which he has been named Luther, is receiving numerous donations and assistance to ensure his survival. Unfortunately, the puppy was diagnosed with parvovirus after his initial veterinary examination, which was a letdown.
The poor pup has been mistreated and has two wounds on one of his legs. The volunteers suspect that the wounds were inflicted deliberately. He also has a high fever and concerning blood test results. To help him, the Foundation’s volunteers will donate blood from other puppies. Due to his severe malnutrition, the pup is very thin, dehydrated, and physically weak.
One of the alarming findings from the medical examination was the presence of various foreign objects in his stomach. The contents included plastic fragments, a piece of metal almost as big as a two-euro coin, and remnants of aluminum foil. Although there were other foreign materials inside, the tests couldn’t identify them until he undergoes surgery. An additional concern is his infestation with parasites, but the vets still need to conduct further studies to determine the exact kind of parasite present to apply the appropriate treatment.
To ease his pain and prevent further suffering, he is currently receiving morphine as a form of pain medication. This is being administered by the Protector of Animals of Grado and its Valleys.
Due to his stomach problems, it is imperative that he undergoes surgery as soon as possible. However, his weak state requires him to be stabilized first before the operation can take place tomorrow. Despite the significant risks involved with any surgery in his condition, it is crucial for his survival that he goes through with the procedure. The maltreatment and neglect inflicted upon such a young puppy, resulting in his severe health issues, is truly appalling. Our hopes and prayers are with the authorities as they search for the culprit responsible for this heinous act and with the adorable puppy for a speedy recovery.
UPDATE: Thanks to the Protector’s efforts, a loving family has finally adopted Luther, who received countless offers of adoption within two months since he was born. Please join us in our fight against animal abuse and help spread this heartwarming news.